Sunday 15 September 2013

On the top of the world.

About 8 months ago, on a spur of the moment impulse, I signed up to climb up Mt Toubkal in Morocco in aid of Parkinson's UK. As I've mentioned on previous blogs, I really don't do physical activity - but the past 8 months have seen runs with crazy Irish people (well...one crazy Irish person), joint Welling-Browne very very (very) long walks, a few living room workouts (with curtains firmly drawn) and in the past month, daily 2 mile runs. Fundraising also began, taking the form of gospel concerts, acoustic nights, boot fairs, begging, borrowing (no stealing though!) and finally, a bungee jump. 

And, about a week ago, all the training and fundraising was bought to a culmination in the form of the trek itself! 

I wasn't sure what exactly to expect. To be honest, I had quite an idyllic picture of the team wandering leisurely up a slightly larger than average hill, pausing for tea and cake at sun drenched stopping points. However, after having purchased bandages, ridiculously practical walking shoes, a camel pack and immodium (I was equipped for every eventuality!) - I began to realise that it perhaps wasn't quite going to be the lazy stroll I had hoped for. My parents dropped me off at the airport, I met the rest of the team - and we were off! 


Pre-Mountain.
We started trekking from the small town of Imil. Before we got to Toubkal itself we had to go 6 miles over rocky terrain to the refuge. As we started off, my thighs began to scream. 'AHHH YOU CAN'T DO THIS, WHYYYYY, PAAAAAAIIIIIN!!" I told them to be quiet, and that I would continue regardless of their moaning. 

And after a short while, they did.

Afore mentioned rocky terrain.




Obligatory Mountain Selfie

Approaching the refuge, dusk drew in, and we set up camp for the night - the next morning we were to climb the mountain!  

An early morning start saw 12 keen (and slightly blurry eyed), bobble-hatted amateurs, accompanied by four experienced mountain trekkers, venture up Mt Toubkal, the highest mountain in North Africa. As time twisted onwards, we trekked and trekked, ate copious amounts of snack bars, stubbed our toes, got burnt by the sun (resulting in some seriously streaky sunburn!), drank lots of water from our camel packs, looked practical, shamelessly went to the toilet in some beautiful nature spots (watched only by mountain goats) and shared many of our own stories and experiences.  I was struck by how the fact that how because we were linked by one common factor, Parkinson's, all our stories were intertwined, as were many of our experiences. We had only just met each other, but we shared something. Not something any of us wanted to share, but it meant that we could relate and understand and support one another. 

Anyway, I digress .Despite clambering most of the way up the mountain, concentrating purely on where my next step would be and sliding most of the way down - we all managed to survive it and get back in one piece!  It was definitely a challenge, both physically and mentally - but the feeling of great achievement when we all reached the top was second to none! 


Some serious trekkers.

The views were breathtaking! Psalm 121 was running through my head the whole time! 

Wow.

'Chillin. (Check out the practical shoes!)

Super excited to be on the top of the mountain! 

We did it! £20K for Parkinson's UK raised! :D 

So, I guess all that's left to be said is a massive thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey! I've been really touched by the incredible support from so many people in all sorts of ways, it has meant a lot, both to me and to Parkinson's UK.

The trek lasted 5 days, my painful toes 3. But the money raised and the impact that it will make will last much much longer than this. I truly believe that it will go towards changing lives,both in this generation and the next, and that one day, we will find a cure, and beat Parkinson's once and for all! 

If you would still like to support, click here to donate. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment